Tuesday, May 12, 2009

What Happened to Me, 2

A series on how I've changed since my conversion to God (December 30, 2003)

I got weaker in some respects

Before my conversion, I didn't need any spiritual sustaining.

After my conversion, if I neglect thinking about God, praying, reading my Bible, trying to remember the gospel; I lose strength.

Sometimes I am weakened even when I haven't neglected those things.

This is speculation on my part, but I'm suspicious of this prayer, "Lord, whatever it takes, make me like Jesus" as being involved in my added weakness. I think it creates suffering which produces godliness.

I'm also suspicious of these Bible verses being involved in my new found weakness:
  1. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.
  2. For we were so utterly burdened beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death. But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead.
  3. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
It really stinks being weaker in some ways. Sometimes I despair of my life and want to fold on Christianity. I really hope that
  1. Jesus can keep all his sheep
  2. This turns out to be for my good and God's glory
I hope to continue this series.

No comments: