Monday, May 11, 2009

What Happened to Me, 1

Something serious happened to me on December 30, 2003--my conversion to God.

I'm starting a new series to document what happened.

Part 1: My major philosophy/life questions have real, verifiable answers

Some people never ask the big questions of life, but many do. And I did.

Who am I? What is reality? Is there a guiding force/destiny to it? What can I know for sure? Is there a God? Is he knowable?

Before my conversion the best answers to these questions were: take your best guess or very little is knowable for sure: study some varying view points.

After my conversion, the answers become clear! They all tie back to Jesus Christ.

Here are all the answers
  • Who am I? A human being, created in the image of God. I am beautiful and thinking and feeling because I am made in God's image. I am corrupt, and my life has suffering, and stuff doesn't work right because Adam (the first man) sinned and God cursed man and creation.
  • What is reality? Primarily, God is reality. He is the realest real. All other reality is created by God, and sustained by God, and is real because God says it's real.
  • Is there a guiding force/destiny to reality? Yes. Before this was a hard question, because history seemed to have an "author", but who? The author is God, and reality/history has a great purpose--to bring glory to God primarily by man's fall into sin and what God is doing in Christ to restore a sin-stained world.
  • What can I know for sure? I can know that God exists. I can know that I exist, and I am not God (I am a creature). I can know everything that God has chosen to reveal about himself to me (and mankind). That knowledge is revealed in creation and the Bible.
  • Is there a God? Yes! But because of my inherited crookedness, I'm naturally blind to God until God does something (out of his mercy) to reveal himself to me.
  • Is he knowable? Yes, on a personal level like I know my friend. I know God through Jesus Christ. Jesus helps me in my weakness as one who knows all my fears and faults.
Glory be to God because
  1. I didn't think these questions were ever answerable. Mankind's greatest thinkers tried hard and failed to find answers to these questions
  2. The answers are so good! Although my situation was a lot worse than I thought (being an unearthly monster and under God's wrath); God's initiation towards me showed me I am more loved that I dared hope! Everything I need to get all the blessings of God, God provided me in Christ.
I hope I continue this before/after conversion series.

No comments: