Tuesday, January 29, 2008

First Catechism revision

I teach 2nd-4th graders Catechism for our church. A catechism is series of questions and answers summarizing doctrine, especially for children to memorize.

We've got different editions of the catechism book, and they (Great Commissions Publications) changed an answer!

I can see their dilemma: once saved, must I do anything? It's easy to "fall off the horse" in both directions. Here's what's different.

Question 58 originally said:

Q. What must you do to be saved?
A. I must repent of my sin, believe in Christ, and live a godly life.

Now the new edition reads:

Q. What must you do to be saved?
A. I must repent of my sin and believe in Christ as my savior.

What should we teach our kids? I would feel fine with my kids* being taught either. I think God has designed Christians to live in tension between "God has accomplished everything you need to be saved" and "you must do good deeds to be saved". It's a glorious tension that can only be resolved if God himself works in us the good deeds needed to survive the judgment (as in sheep-and-goats, Matthew 25).

*Theoretical kids, we don't have kids yet.

1 comment:

bt said...

first comment, but I've been reading! :) thanks again for sharing!

Josh, my sister found this and thought you and Stephie would like it: http://glassbooth.org/