Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Relationship with God: Transposing Up

I'm a young Christian, but I wanted to post things I've learned from other Christians that have benefited me in knowing our God.

Transposing Up

Transposing up is a musically term when a melody is moved up the scale to a higher key. I got it from C.S. Lewis.

It brings greater and deeper joy in life's daily pleasures. You enjoy something great, your think of the person, God, who made the thing you enjoy and your joy goes deeper. You now delight in a) the pleasure and b) the God who thought up the pleasure and shared it with you.

An example: I enjoy chips with fresh cut salsa.

Transpose it up: Who thought of such a great food? What is a tomato? A fruit or a vegetable? I don't know. But it's wonderful and it goes with onions and cilantro in a special way. Yum!--the freshness of the veggies on top of the crunchiness of the corn chip. It's great!

Now who thought of "salsa"? My God made all these foods for his own pleasure and for people to enjoy. He planned out the infinite combinations of food and spices and cooking.

I not only delight in the salsa (lower level), but in the God who made me and the salsa (delight transposed up). I fire inside is lit up, and I remember what I was made for: The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever.

No comments: